MSF provides efficient emergency medical aid, and accordingly places specific demands on our volunteers. In order to be able to meet certain challenges whilst on mission, a mixture of dedication, idealism and professionalism is essential.
The following requirements must be met:
- Completed vocational training, with at least two years work experience (or a completed medical rotation)
- Good understanding and fluency in English and/or French
- Spanish, Portuguese or knowledge in any other language is an advantage
- At least six to nine months availability for the first assignment:
- Availability for a minimum of 6 – 9 months for general practitioners, paediatricians and specialists for internal medicine, nurses, midwives, pharmacists and psychiatrists
- Availability for a minimum of 3 months for gynaecologists/obstetricians
- Availability for a minimum of 4 – 6 weeks for surgeons, anaesthesiologists and OT nurses
- Ability to supervise and train others.
- Ability to work well in a team, as well as a strong resilience to physical and psychological pressures and strains.
- Experience living abroad (either in a professional or private capacity).
- Readiness to work in the spirit of the humanitarian principles of MSF.
- For general practitioners and nursing personnel: tropical medicine or other specialisations (public health, epidemiology etc.).
MSF is looking for
- Male and Female medical doctors
- Laboratory staff
- Nursing staff
- Specialists in technics and logistics
- Specialists in finance and human resource management
- Psychologists and Psychiatrists
MSF was founded as a volunteer organization and would like to remain that way. However, it is very important to us to make a minimum package available to our volunteers during their mission.
This includes the following:
- Payment of vaccination and visa costs during preparation for the mission
- Payment of costs for travel, living expenses, accommodation and meals during employment
- Employment contract with a starting gross salary of currently +/- 1000 Euro/month
- Insurance package (health, disability, travel, luggage, accident, and return to home country insurance)
- Preparation course, and further training courses after the 1st mission
- A unique experience, a professional challenge and inter-cultural contact!
Attention: costs of travelling to Vienna, for job interviews for example, will NOT be reimbursed by MSF!
In the following videos, a surgeon and an internal medicine doctor share their work-experience in the aid programs of Doctors Without Borders:
Surgeon Herbert Matzinger
Dr. Med. Dora Tomickova